Hiking through the Lavaux vineyard terraces is a wonderful tradition during the autumn in Switzerland. The walk from St. Saphorin to Lutry takes approximately 3.5 hours and is 11.7 km in length. This trail winds through the prestigious Lavaux vineyard terraces, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. “Fashioned over the centuries by human hands, the region and its typical villages offer a panorama of exceptional beauty.”
From St. Saphorin train station, we will cross the road using the underground tunnel and follow the yellow hiking signs towards Cully. We will walk up to the Saint-Saphorin church and follow the signs to Cully. Just before arriving to Cully, we will follow the yellow hiking signs of Riex, Grandvaux and finally Lutry. This route will leads us through the charming villages of Saint-Saphorin, Rivaz, Epesses, Riex, Grandvaux, Aran. With a possibility of a picnic en route and some visits to wine cellars if we’re lucky.
When: Sunday, 15 October, 2017
Time & Length:
– The hike is approximately 3.5 hours.
– Beginning of the hike at 10:45 AM.
– By train from Geneva, we meet at 9:20 on the platform (usually platform 4). Train departs from platform at 9:30. Change in Vevey, depart at 10:37 (usually platform 1) to arrive at 10:40 in St. Saphorin.
– Hikers meeting us directly at St. Saphorin, we meet at 10:40 at St. Saphorin train station.
– First come first served basis up to 20 hikers. SORRY – WE’RE ALREADY OVER 20 NOW.
– The walk requires no particular fitness level, but is a bit long, and usually on a paved path that wind through the vineyards.
– This walk is weather dependent and therefore we do not recommend purchasing your train tickets until the day of departure. If there is any change we will let everyone know the night before (check your emails).
– Please wear comfortable shoes, bring appropriate clothing and weather gear – you may wish to bring poles but not necessary, and plenty of water and a sandwich for lunch.